Training and experience panorama
I am a mindfulness teacher and consultant for innovative businesses and others interested in applying Mindfulness, meditation and yoga to professional, personal and organizational development.
Born and raised in the NY Metropolitan area, I lived, worked and went to school there til I was 30. After getting my BA in Philosophy from SUNY Purchase, I was a Mental Health Worker at NY Hospital’s Westchester Psychiatric Division, taught Mindfulness on the Cognitive-Behavioral Eating Disorders Unit at McLean Psychiatric Hospital, and was a manager of a Wild Acres psychiatric half-way house in the Boston area.
In addition to practicing meditation with various teachers and Buddhist traditions, I trained under the guidance of Ajahn Sumedho in the UK in 80s and came to Italy to help set up Santacittarama Buddhist Monastery in 1990.
I currently live in Italy.
Please continue if you’d like to read more. There is a partial list of clients at the bottom.
Mindfulness and neuroscience
I began as a participant in longitudinal studies on the effects of meditation on concentration, relaxation and facial recognition of emotions.
Living Buddhist Masters
Some of the retreats I participated in at Insight Meditation Society
- 1979 – Insight Meditation with Sharon Salzberg
- 1980 – Insight Meditation with Joseph Goldstein and A. Munindra
- 1981 – Three month course with Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield
- 1984 – Metta with Ajahn Anando (Chithurst Buddhist Monastery)
- 1985 – Ajahn Sumedho on the Four Noble Truths
Tibetan Buddhism and vipassana
A summer at Naropa Institute in Boulder, Colorado
- Summer lecture series with Chögyam Trungpa Rimpoche on the 8th century Indian Buddhist scholar Shantideva, author of Bodhicaryavatara: A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life
- Vipassana with psychologists and meditation teachers
Jack Engler and Jack Kornfield
Zen Buddhism and Insight
For years, I was a frequent visitor helping out with work projects at the Zen Community in Yonkers, NY where I grew up, as well as, at CIMS in Cambridge where I lived and worked through the 80s.
- the Zen Community of NY (Bernard Glassman)
- the Cambridge Zen Center
- the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center (Larry Rosenberg)
My relationship with the English Sangha continues through to today. I continue to participate in monastic retreats both in the UK and Italy.
Yoga and Mindfulness
- 2014 – Certified Viniyoga instructor in the Krishnamacharya tradition according to guidelines established by the Union Européenne des Fédérations Nationales de Yoga and the Associazione Nazionale Insegnanti Yoga
- 2015 – MBSR experiential training with Centro Italiano Mindfulness
Not for profit
Centro Sati was created in 2003. The center is a not for profit meditation society dedicated to the teaching and practice of meditation and yoga. It was modeled after the monasteries and meditation centers where I received my own training. For many years it was situated in a commercial storefront in a residential area in Latina with a small meeting space suitable for up to 20 practitioners (10 for yoga classes ); and a separate room for interviews, walking meditation and individual teaching.
It does not currently have a permanent home and meetings retreats are hosted from time to time in a public school in the center of town or at the Tibetan Monastery in Cisterna and now on-line on Skype.
Consultant and trainer
I have always been interested in practical and transverse applications for Mindfulness. It has been the foundation for my work in education, human resources and organizational development; and I have been sharing these ideas, providing training and doing workshops for innovative businesses and academic organizations in Europe since 1993.
Some of my clients
- AbbVie (Italy)
- APIGA (Spain)
- Benacquista Assicurazioni (Italy)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (Italy)
- IED, Rome (Italy)
- Milengo (Germany, Italy, Spain)
- Nexans (USA)
- Ospedale Santa Maria Goretti (Italy)
- Pfizer (Italy)
- Rai Educational (Italy)
- S4BT (Italy)
- TESOL (Italy)
- Tetra Pak (Italy)
- Uhuru Media (Kataweb-La Repubblica Group) (Italy)
- Wordwide (Italy)
- Wyeth-Lederle (Italy)
In addition to ongoing courses in meditation, yoga and MBSR, I have lectured in English Language and Communication at La Sapienza University in Rome and did a 10 year stint finishing in 2015 as the in-house language and organizational Coach for S4BT.