I was born in Yonkers, NY in 1954 and lived, worked and went to school in the NY Metropolitan area. After getting my BA in Philosophy from SUNY Purchase, I was a Mental Health Worker at NY Hospital’s Westchester Psychiatric Division, taught Mindfulness on the Cognitive-Behavioral Eating Disorders Unit at McLean Psychiatric Hospital, and was a manager of a Wild Acres psychiatric half-way house in the Boston area.
In addition to practicing meditation with various teachers and Buddhist traditions, I trained under the guidance of Ajahn Sumedho in the UK in 80s and came to Italy to help set up Santacittarama Buddhist Monastery in 1990.
I currently live near Rome with my family and work as a Mindfulness teacher and consultant for innovative businesses and others interested in applying Mindfulness, meditation and yoga to professional, personal and organizational development..
Please continue if you’d like to read more. There is a partial list of clients at the bottom.
Mindfulness and neuroscience
I began as a participant in longitudinal studies on the effects of meditation on concentration, relaxation and facial recognition of emotions.
Living Buddhist Masters
Some of the retreats I participated in at Insight Meditation Society
- 1979 – Insight Meditation with Sharon Salzberg
- 1980 – Insight Meditation with Joseph Goldstein and Anagarika Munindra
- 1981 – Three month course with Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield
- 1984 – Metta with Ajahn Anando (Chithurst Buddhist Monastery)
- Summer lecture series with Chögyam Trungpa Rimpoche on the 8th century Indian Buddhist scholar Shantideva, author of Bodhicaryavatara: A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life
- Vipassana with psychologists and meditation teachers
Jack Engler and Jack Kornfield
- the Zen Community of NY (Bernard Glassman)
- the Cambridge Zen Center
- the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center (Larry Rosenberg)
My relationship with the English Sangha continues through to today. I continue to participate in monastic retreats both in the UK and Italy.
Yoga and Mindfulness based
- 2014 – Certified Viniyoga instructor in the Krishnamacharya tradition according to guidelines established by the Union Européenne des Fédérations Nationales de Yoga and the Associazione Nazionale Insegnanti Yoga
Not for profit
Centro Sati was created in 2003. The center is a not for profit meditation society dedicated to the teaching and practice of meditation and yoga. It was modeled after the monasteries and meditation centers where I received my own training and was situated in a commercial storefront in a residential area in Latina with a small meeting space suitable for up to 20 practitioners (10 for yoga classes ); and a separate room for interviews, walking meditation and individual teaching. It does not currently have a permanent home and is being hosted by a public school in the center of town.
Consultant and trainer
I have always been interested in practical and transverse applications for Mindfulness. It has been the foundation for my work in education, human resources and organizational development; and I have been sharing these ideas, providing training and doing workshops for innovative businesses and academic organizations in Europe since 1993.
Some companies I’ve worked with
Benacquista Assicurazioni (Italy)
Bristol-Myers Squibb (Italy)
IED, Rome (Italy)
Milengo (Germany, Italy, Spain)
Ospedale Santa Maria Goretti (Italy)
Rai Educational (Italy)
Tetra Pak (Italy)
Uhuru Media (Kataweb-La Repubblica Group) (Italy)
In addition to ongoing courses in meditation, yoga and MBSR, I have lectured in English Language and Communication at La Sapienza University in Rome and concluded a 10 year stint in 2015 as the in-house language and organizational Coach for S4BT.