Clicca qui per una versione in italiano. In fondo troverete l’elenco dei clienti.
I was born north of New York City in 1954 and lived, worked and went to school in the NY Metropolitan area. After getting my BA in Philosophy from SUNY Purchase, I was a Mental Health Worker at NY Hospital’s Westchester Psychiatric Division, taught Mindfulness on the Cognitive-Behavioral Eating Disorders Unit at McLean Psychiatric Hospital, and was a manager of a Wild Acres psychiatric half-way house in the Boston area.
In addition to practicing meditation with various teachers and Buddhist traditions (see below), I trained under the guidance of Ajahn Sumedho in the UK in 80s and came to Italy to help set up Santacittarama Buddhist Monastery in 1990.
I currently live near Rome with my family and work as a teacher and consultant for innovative businesses and individuals interested in applying Mindfulness, meditation and yoga to professional and personal development, communication, organizational development, and for general well-being.
Please continue if you’d like to read more. There is a list of clients at the bottom of the page.
Mindfulness and neuroscience
- Participant in longitudinal studies on the effects of meditation on concentration, relaxation and facial recognition of emotions
Like many, I started off in the Insight Meditation Society pipeline in Barre, Massachusetts. Here are some of the retreats I participated in:
- 1979 – First “Insight Meditation” retreat with Sharon Salzberg at IMS
- 1980 – IMS retreat with Joseph Goldstein and Anagarika Munindra
- 1981 – IMS three month “course” with Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield
- 1984 – IMS metta retreat with Ajahn Anando (then abbott of Chithurst Buddhist Monastery, trained by Ajahn Chah)
- 1985 – IMS retreat with Ajahn Sumedho on the Four Noble Truths
July 1980 at Naropa Institute in Boulder, Colorado:
- Summer lecture series with Chögyam Trungpa Rimpoche on the 8th century Indian Buddhist scholar Shantideva, author of Bodhicaryavatara: A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life
- Vipassana 3 week intensive with psychologists and meditation teachers Jack Engler and Jack Kornfield
I have also participated in non-residential practice over the years with the Zen Community of NY (under the guidance of Bernard Glassman), the Cambridge Zen Center and the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center (under the guidance of Larry Rosenberg).
- 1979 – Mental health worker at NY Hospital with Dr. Michael Selzer
- 1980 – Mental health worker and Mindfulness instructor on the Cognitive Behavioral unit at McLean with Dr. Phil Levendusky (CBT contract based approach)
- 1987 – Manager of a Wild Acres psychiatric half-way house
- 1986 – Three month monastic retreat at Chithurst Buddhist Monastery under the guidance of Ajahn Sumedho
- 1989 – One year intensive training as an 8 precept anāgārika at Chithurst Buddhist Monastery
- 1990 – Establishment of Santacittarama in Italy
My relationship with the English Sangha continues through to today.
Over the years I have participated in a
number of monastic
retreats both in the
UK and Italy lasting
from 10 days to the
traditional 3 month
monastic winter retreat.
Yoga and Mindfulness based
- 2014 – Certified Viniyoga instructor in the Krishnamacharya tradition according to guidelines established by the Union Européenne des Fédérations Nationales de Yoga and the Associazione Nazionale Insegnanti Yoga
- 2015 – MBSR experiential training with Centro Italiano Mindfulness
Not for profit
Centro Sati was created in 2003.
The center is a not for profit meditation society dedicated to the teaching and practice of meditation and yoga. It has been modeled after the monasteries and meditation centers where I received my own training and is currently situated in a commercial storefront in a residential area. Centro Sati is a small meeting space suitable for up to 20 practitioners (10 for yoga classes ). There is a separate room for interviews, walking meditation and individual teaching.
Consultant and trainer
I have always been interested in practical and transverse applications for Mindfulness. It has been the foundation for my work in education, human resources and organizational development; and I have been sharing these ideas, providing training and doing workshops for innovative businesses and academic organizations in Europe since 1993.
Some of the companies I’ve worked with:
- AbbVie (Italy)
- APIGA (Spain)
- Benacquista Assicurazioni (Italy)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (Italy)
- IED, Rome (Italy)
- Milengo (Germany, Italy, Spain)
- Nexans (USA)
- Ospedale Santa Maria Goretti (Italy)
- Pfizer (Italy)
- Rai Educational (Italy)
- S4BT (Italy)
- TESOL (Italy)
- Tetra Pak (Italy)
- Uhuru Media (Kataweb-La Repubblica Group) (Italy)
- Wordwide (Italy)
- Wyeth-Lederle (Italy)
In addition to ongoing courses in meditation, yoga and MBSR at Centro Sati, I have lectured in English Language and Communication at La Sapienza University in Rome and recently concluded a 10 year stint as the in-house language and organizational Coach for S4BT.